Thursday, May 17, 2007

"He which began a good work..."

As I look at some of my projects, I see myself all too many times...


This poor cupboard isn't even started yet... We brought it upstairs when we moved, and in all honesty, it looks downright dreadful.

BUT... That's because I'm not done with it yet.

First it needs the peeling paint scratched off, first with the putty knife, then with sand paper. Lots of sand paper. That's most painful part.
Next comes the primer. It looks better... A little cleaner. It certainly shows evidence of work being done on it. I don't quit on it. I keep going.


I get out more brushes and paint. Layer after layer goes on. I take my time with each stroke I take. I want it to look perfect when I'm done. I want it to be beautiful. I want it to be able to be used for my purpose when I'm done with it.

Days pass. I still work on it. Coat after coat of sealer goes on. More time passes. It dries. I move it into place. Liners get put on each shelf.


I put glasses, mugs, mom's beautiful crystal bowls, and casserole dishes neatly inside the freshly painted masterpiece. I step back and smile. Now... Now it can be used for my purpose.



I saw the gem underneath all the dirt and chipping paint. It just needed some unrelenting work. Isn't that so like me?



God sees me. He sees what I am. He sees what I could be. He begins to work.

"Being confident of this very thing. That He which began a good work in me will finish it to completion." Phil. 1:6


He works, relentlessly. Stripping away my pride, layer by layer. After He's done that, He begins to change me. To make me clean. But it takes time. Sometimes it's hard. Sometimes I think I can't go on. BUT... He's not finished yet. Still, He works to make me into the woman that He wants me to be. So that I can be used for His purpose and glory.






“LORD, Help me to trust in you, and do good. Help me to delight myself also in you that you may give me the desires of my heart. I commit my way unto you. I trust in you and I believe that you will bring it to pass. Help me to rest in you and wait patiently. Help me not to fret. You say that those that wait on you will inherit the earth. You also say that the steps of the righteous are ordered by you. Help me to delight in my way and may you uphold me. I will wait on you and keep your way, for you are my strength in my times of trouble. You will help me and deliver me. You will save me, if only I trust in you. Help me to trust in you Abba Father.”

Paraphrased from Psalm 37:3-5, 7, 9, 23-24, 34, 39-40

4 comments:

Margo said...

I love the blue pealing paint. Have you thought about just painting the white/cream areas and leaving the blue.

Anonymous said...

Wow...what a challenging, inspiring post, Nicole! Definitely God's 'perfect timing' for me right now! Sometime those layers are hard, and dried, and caked on--yet He persists, because He sees what we can be. How grateful I am that He doesn't give up! Even when I'm unfaithful, He is faithful. And the reality of that is hard to fathom!!

Thank you for sharing from your heart. I was blessed!

Love you,
Abi

PS--I just love your "Attitudes are contagious" caption at the top of your blog. So true!

Anonymous said...

By the way, all the pictures are just too fun! My computer finally loaded them...dial-up! :o) Hugs!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Nicole!
By the way I LOVE the pic of you with the lil colt with your hair in pig tail brades :)