Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I met my "Knight in Shining Armor!!!"

Okay... Okay...


So not exactly MY knight... But I did meet one this weekend!!! :o) lol

I've never yet posted about my other life. The 5-months-out-of-the-year "weekend life!" While most people work during the week and have the weekend off... I work the weekends, and well... Am supposed to have the weekdays off. (That never seems to happen!!! lol) We have a family entertainment business. http://www.sonshineandcompany.com/

Normally I wouldn't post about my usually boring weekend, but this last weekend was anything but boring!!!



We were at the Renaissance Faire in Omaha. I kept busy making Shaved Ice, Bavarian Glazed Nuts, Cotton Candy and avoiding the flirtatious pirate that kissed as many girls as he could. Scary!




The storyteller was really fun to listen to... She had a knack of pulling the audience into her stories!

As far as the Faire in general... I think the whole Renaissance time period has been romanticized. You only see the glory and charm in something like this. None of the poverty and hardship. Even those dressed as peasants and gypsies had no idea of what it really must've been like. And... Um... Let's just put it this way. It was definitely called "the time of immodesty" for a reason!! Wow.

Caleb offered nuts to people as they passed by. He was too cute with the feather in his hat! :o)

We all had to dress in Renaissance era while working there. It was kind of fun, although stopping to get gas afterwards before heading home was interesting!!! I wasn't quite "normal!" (Although... Am I ever?!) I got a lot of 2nd looks!

Mr. Larsen, Alathia, Me and my cousin, Kristin

I opted for the Gypsy look since it runs in my blood. :o) (My great-great grandma was a gypsy! lol) If you really want to look authentic though... For starters you need to be about 50 pounds overweight!

Alathia, trying her hand at face painting. This was her first one!! She's naturally very talented, I think!!

Overall... it was a very interesting weekend! :o)

Hope you all had an interesting weekend too!!!

~Nicole

2 comments:

Margo said...

I know what you mean about the immodesty. I've been shocked at some of the stuff I've seen at the faire.
Glad you had a good time. What a great family business and so much time off. Glad you were able to avoid the kissing pirate.

Margo said...

Nicole, in response to your post on my blog. Yes, Nebraska and Texas are a little far to travel. However, I was actually born in Nebraska, Columbus to be exact. My Dad had a summer job there and I was born in August. I've been back only once.