Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A Lesson In Line...

I read the sweetest post today...

A Lesson In Line
Her name was Shelby.
She works at the market where I buy my groceries. Yesterday while waiting in line to purchase my groceries I learned a lesson in compassion and the importance of kindness.
Shelby couldn't have been more than sixteen years old, slight in build and shy in nature. Shelby was having a bad day. I mean a really, really bad day. The line was long, and to go along with that long line were some very bad tempers. I watched with sadness as the people in front of me seemed to take out every
frustration they had ever had in life out on poor Shelby. Shelby was trying her very best but even her best was not good enough for these people. Criticisms were muttered under their breath as well as much sighing and eye rolling. One lady kept changing her mind, paper, no plastic, no plastic, no paper, can't you move faster, what's wrong with you, I hate this store, . . . . ..don't squish my tomatoes, watch out for my eggs . .. . and then the unthinkable happened. Poor Shelby got so flustered that she dropped the entire carton of eggs right there on the floor. As she looked down at the shattered mess I couldn't help but think that she was feeling right then just liked that ruined carton of eggs looked. I saw tears well up in her eyes as she surveyed the damage and I wanted to run over to her and scoop her up and hold her in my arms as if she were my baby.
Shelby was beaten down. She was beaten down by unkind words and unkind actions. As it came time for me to be rung up, Shelby looked at me with a timid face all the while preparing for the next assault. I looked her straight in the eye and said, "Shelby, I am so sorry that you are having such a bad day." She looked at me as if she didn't know how to respond. I think she was wondering where I was coming from and what did I mean by that. I then proceeded to tell her that I thought she was doing a great job. Her whole face relaxed into this big, beautiful smile and I literally saw a flood of relief come over her. I told her that I wanted to go buy her a soda or a cup of coffee and bring it back to her. At first she said, "excuse me?" I repeated myself and then she politely said, "no thank you." I then proceeded to tell her about my first day on the job of a local fast food restaurant and some of the mishaps I had been through. I even managed to get her to laugh a little! As I was leaving I told her that she was going to be fine, just take her time and do her best. That's all anyone can do.
As I was leaving I heard the gentleman that was behind me in line say, "Shelby, you are doing great, don't you worry." A smile then crossed MY face because of the goodness and kindness of others. I realized that it takes the same amount of time and energy to be kind as it does to be unkind. I saw first hand that words DO hurt. I also saw first hand how easy it is to "shatter" the self-esteem of another human being. I saw that we can choose to show compassion just as easy as we can choose to show intolerance. I realized that can choose to be patient or we can be impatient. The bottom line is that it is up to us. We
can either "tear down" or "build up." We can either spread darkness or spread light. There are many other Shelbys out there in this world. When we encounter one it will be up to us how we choose to respond. I know I will choose to respond with love!


What a great challenge for me to invest in the lives of those around me! :o)


What did I do today? Well... I've been gone a lot lately so it was mostly catch-up! Cleaning... Emailing... The usual! So I didn't get a whole lot accomplished on my projects other than a couple coats of paint on the new drawers, cupboards and stuff. Just need to:

*Sand the edges of the chair... ( I painted it navy, then white. I'm going to sand the edges to give it a worn look so the navy will show through.)

*Put sealer on the table, windows, chair, and drawers.

Then I should be almost done on painting all the stuff in the dining room! YAY! We can have our dining room back! All the stuff looks terrific though! I do love crackle painting! :o)


Tomorrow To-Do List: (After more "catch-up!")
*Sand the edges of the chair
*Put sealer on the table, windows, chair, and drawers
*Finish putting up wainscoting
*Prime wainscoting
*Paint another coat of navy on wainscoting trim
*Paint 1-2 coats of white on wainscoting
*Paint Burgundy on wainscoting and wipe off. (So the Burgundy will only stay in the grooves)
*Seal wainscoting
*Put trim above wainscoting
*Put trim in corner cabinet
*Install light above corner cabinet
*Hang doors on all cabinets that I took off to paint


Okay, okay.... So, chances are I won't get all that done... But it's on the to-do list anyway! ;o) Nothing like setting your goals high, eh?!?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm the sort of hombre who enjoys to taste fresh things. Currently I'm making my private photovoltaic panels. I am managing it all by myself without the help of my men. I'm utilizing the net as the only way to acheive that. I discovered a truly brilliant site which explains how to build pv panels and wind generators. The site explains all the steps involved in solar panel construction.

I'm not exactly sure about how precise the info given there iz. If some people over here who had experience with these things can have a look and give your feedback in the thread it will be awesome and I'd extremely appreciate it, cause I extremely enjoy solar panel construction.

Thanks for reading this. You people rock.